School Based Programs
School Based Programs Service Delivery Overview
School Based Health Centers (SBHCs) provide cost-effective and time-efficient services that benefit the community, schools, teachers, parents, and scholars. The 2022 -2023 academic year shone a light on the on-going need for behavioral health, medical, and dental services. The demand and impact of behavioral health and dental health services were highlighted in the most recent Integrated Health Services Impact Report.
IHS Service Delivery Summary 2022-23
Behavioral Health Services
Story Behind the Data: Impact of Behavioral Health Services
- Students report having a trusted adult makes them more likely to come to school.
- Improved peer relationships
- Improved communication with family members
- Increased ability to manage difficult situations
- Improved self-image
- Improved outcomes in suicide ideation and attempts
- Improved relationships with peers
- Reduced self-harm
- Increased skills to manage difficult emotions
- Increased knowledge of harmful effects caused by excessive marijuana use
Story Behind the Data: Impact of Dental Services
- New Caries Risk Assessments helped assist IHS hygienist’s communication with students, parents, and external dentists about preventive care needed.
- New dental equipment, to include digital x-ray, enabled efficient record sharing with dental referrals
- Improved work and school attendance noted by parents
- Students report improved focus
- Referred students and families to state dental insurance program, HUSKY, for coverage to promote on-going care
- Assisted with coordination of scheduling and transportation to local endodontists, orthodontist, and oral surgeons
The IHS Board of Directors, administrators and staff are diligent in efforts to expand existing services and initiate services in other high need communities.
Response to Community Needs
SBHC staff increased school/family/community engagement:
- Host open house,
- Conduct food drives,
- Conducting self-care groups,
- Providing health education, including a visit by a Planned Parenthood representative and offering afternoon FLEX groups,
- Increasing the hours of dentist on site and garnering a Per Diem Dental Hygienist.
School Based Programs Registration Forms